Being the daughter of a periodontist, Dr. Katie Doswell was around dentistry from an early age. As she became more interested in specializing in orthodontics, she realized that her love for orthodontics combined both of her parents’ areas of expertise: her dad’s background in dentistry and her mom’s background in engineering, physics and problem solving. It also incorporated her training in growth and development: an area of study she specialized in at Duke University and a course she now teaches for the pediatric dental residents at Virginia Commonwealth University. Orthodontics seemed like a natural and perfect fit.
Dr. Doswell grew up in Richmond with her four sisters. She went to Duke University for college, where she competed in cross-country and track and ran a mile in less than five minutes. She attended the University of North Carolina (UNC) for dental school and orthodontic residency. She loves both Duke and UNC (which most people find kind of weird … if not impossible). When people ask her who she roots for in sports, she says that she pulls for Duke all the time, and UNC as long as they are not playing Duke.
She met her husband, Andrew, at Duke. They started dating their senior year when they were in golf “class” together. They have a daughter named Carter and a son named Miller. She also has a golden retriever named Cammie, who is named after Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke, and who you will get to meet, since Cammie is part of our team here at Doswell Orthodontics.
Dr. Doswell loves spending time with her family, going on family dog walks, going to her family’s river house on the Potomac River, tubing, exercising and doing Peloton spin classes. She also loves playing golf with her husband and kids (a new hobby), playing pickleball (another new hobby), watching all sports (on TV or in-person), going to concerts, cooking, baking, trying new restaurants, traveling and reading a good book.
- American Board of Orthodontics
- Assistant Clinical Professor at Virginia Commonwealth University
- American Association of Orthodontists®
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- Virginia Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association®
- Virginia Dental Association
- Richmond Dental Society
- Richmond Orthodontic Study Club
Dr. Doswell is a board-certified orthodontist through the American Board of Orthodontics, a status only one in three orthodontists achieve. Through continuing education, study groups and local and national conferences, Dr. Doswell is always striving to learn more about the latest technologies and treatments in dentistry and orthodontics, as well as how to ensure the best patient experience and treatment outcomes.
PUBLICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Contributed to updates to the 6th edition of Contemporary Orthodontics, the most widely-used textbook in orthodontic education at the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels
- Co-author of publication in the Journal of Public Health Dentistry
- American Association of Orthodontists Predoctoral Student Award recipient
- Inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
- American Association for Dental Research Bloc Travel Grant recipient
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry Predoctoral Student Award recipient
- UNC DDS Short-Term Research Fellowship recipient
- Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Honor Roll (2006-2010)
- All-Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) (2009)
- Nike Indoor National Champion 800m run (2006)
- Three-Time High School All-American (2005, 2006)
- Richmond Sports Backers Scholar Athlete of the Year (2006)
- Two-Time Richmond Times Dispatch Athlete of the Year (2005, 2006)